I had a phase where I did a ton of testing, anything that came up, I threw my hat in the ring. I've been doing it a bit less for two reasons: one, as a form of self care I have been on facebook less (I deleted the app from my photo so if I want to look there I have to use the intentionally crappy mobile webpage) and two, I thought about how many hours I spent doing a test, plus the cost of muslining, sometimes more than once, and I had "spent" so much more "paying" for my own time than if I just bought the pattern.
That was until I saw the call for the new Itch to Stitch pattern, the Dana Point Top. It was just what I wanted (and I wanted it NOW). Kennis is a fantastic drafter and her patterns have clear instructions and diagrams and best of all, layers! I think this is my all time PDF pattern feature. Anyhow, I've tested for her before, the Lisbon Cardigan which I actually managed to blog about and the Belize Shorts and the Vienna Tank which I didn't. The Idyllwild Tee is my TNT knit top and I love my Lindy Petal Skirt (free!). I'll get back to that later. All of this amounted to me eagerly applying and joining the test team for the Dana Point Top.
First, I actually made a muslin. This is not normal for me, but it let me check fit and use up a bunch of fabric that I didn't want to toss but didn't want to wear, so win/win. I was super punctual. Got it done within a day of the pattern going out. Then came my sister's birthday, and Wes' and my real fashion fabric, all of which conspired to kill my progress on this thing. My fabric is a lovely black with floral pattern rayon challis from Gaffney that I got maybe two years ago for $3/yd. I had them earmarked for culottes but the pattern didn't have the finished waist measurements (who cares about the finished hip circumference when you've got swishy, wide leg culottes with a fitted waist?!) so they forfeited the fabric claim. Luckily, because my fabric was not unidirectional I was able to fit the whole pattern (self-lined) on 2 yards, rather than the 2 3/4 the pattern called for! (YMMV, measure twice, cut once!)
The fabric is buttery soft, breathable, with a lovely drape. Only problem is it's black, and the back is dark grey, and none of my damn chalk markers or transfer paper and wheel would work to show the markings I had to transfer. It was so lightweight that even when I used pins or thread to mark points they would fall out. Amazingly, for all it's shaping, only has two pattern pieces, the front and back. This is one of the blessing/curse things with this pattern. Unfortunately that means each piece has six pleats, multiplied by two because you have to do the same again for the linings. If you cut a C cup or larger, there's also bust darts. My fabric also had the bonus of being slippery. Next time I make this top (not this year, I'm all pleated out, sheesh!) I will use a lighter fabric that will take my frixion pens and maybe try doing the gelatin method to stiffen the fabric as I trace and sew. So with all that, I finished my final version a week later. But damn, am I pleased with the final result!
- fit is ON POINT
- only two pattern pieces (makes pattern assembly and fabric cutting way easier)
- clear instructions and diagrams
- Cup sizes (the are very generous. I wear a 38DD in RTW and cut an 18C according to the sizing chart and the fit is perfect. If you have a larger bust there is more room for you in these bodices than you think.)
- fully lined so you can use those lovely sheer fabrics you bought but don't know how to use without showing the world your boobs
- flattering design, hugs and skims in the right place, lovely v-neck
- can fit over your head without unbuttoning
- lots of markings to transfer
- difficult with shifty fabric
- prone to puffiness if you have a significant swayback (though not really much of a con since Kennis has a blog post of how to easily adjust your pattern pieces to fix this
Seriously, I love this shirt. In the end I didn't have enough buttons so I invisibly hand stitched the button "bands" to overlap as they would when buttoned. I had planned to sew dummy buttons on top to be decorative but I'm really liking it as is.
I like this thing so much I've already begun scheming the hacks I want to try in the future. Extended to knee length to be a dress, for sure. And can I hack the front so that it's a single cut on the fold piece now that I know I can fit it over my head without unbuttoning it? I think I'm going to have to hit up Gaffney and see if I can get any summer weight fabrics on clearance to stash away for next year. While I'm at it I'm going to grab some ponte or scuba to make a black Lindy skirt to go with it. I tried Dana Point on with my cream, black and plum leopard print Lindy and the silhouette was perfect (despite the intense pattern clash).
In the end, I think my problems were mostly down to fabric choice and going forward I shouldn't have problems with it in the future. Even if it weren't I think the fit and style would be worth it. I wholeheartedly recommend this pattern.
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through one of these links I earn a small commission but the price remains the same for you. I only recommend things I can truly endorse and all opinions are my own.